Thursday, August 13, 2009

Can a feminist like fighting?

Last year I had the privilege of interviewing Canadian poet, Daphne Marlatt. She is a feminist, proprioceptive, limitless poet who challenges the reader to question, is there such a thing as a feminine epic?

Now, I always thought an epic was an "adventure" that called the hero to face challenges which reflected his inner archetypal "demons" resulting in a change - often tragic - which renders the hero a better person, but all too often out-casted from the society he or she calls home. The bad-ass swords and storms were added bonuses of awesomeness. Kind of like medieval car chases.

So I asked Marlatt, how does a feminine epic differ from a traditional patriarchal epic. She answered that the heroine's journey is inward, and we must cut out the violence. There is too much violence in the world.

Well, I think that an inward journey of change is not a gendered convention. I think growth and bettering oneself is not something constrained to feminism. It's poetry. Poetry is masculine and feminine, and the epic is the alpha-poem - masculine, feminine or whatnot.

And, cutting out the violence? While I agree that there is too much unnecessary violence in the world - senseless crimes, profitless wars and misdirected rage, violence has its place in the world. Am I not a feminist if I enjoy fighting? When Lyoto Machida knocked Rashad Evans flat out and I screamed and shouted and punched the air, was I taking a step back for woman-kind? Can't we all be equal in our love of a well placed punch?

Aren't mother animals the most viscious? They know how to kick some serious ass! I don't think that being feminine requires one to cut out the aggression. Look at Gina Carano!

So when Daphne Marlatt told me that a feminine epic was all about peaceful inner reflection I thought, ya, but what about when Beowulf rips off Grendels arm and beats him to death with it! That was way cooler than thinking about "who am I?".

After our interview I drank some beer, changed a flat tire, went home and baked a pie in a frilly apron, watched some UFC and felt comfortable having breasts...which I may or may not have called tits.

So, am I a feminist if I like fighting? I think so. But I think I'm more of a bitchin momma bear kind of feminist than a passive poetical kind.

1 comment:

  1. I know you called them tits, who are we kidding here? Great blog Jess!

    ReplyDelete