Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Something profound... yup, mmm hmm...

Last night I attended a staff meeting. More importantly, after the staff meeting I wallowed in a free gin and tonic supplied by a great friend and co-worker, while she proceeded to verbally kick and then light a fire under my ass.

Therefore, in an attempt to take some great advice and begin my career way before I am tangibly qualified, I'm attempting to here and now become a writer. Is tangibly even an appropriate word? Why do I suddenly feel like the douchebag in a second year class of mine who quoted Finnigan's Wake and used the word "conundrum" seriously?

Nevertheless, my promise to myself is to enter into a committed relationship with this here trendy bit of web-iverse. I hereby submit myself to the voyeuristic, relentless masses of those who are much more talented than me, and the throngs of those who think they are more talented than me. Follow along as I ramble self-consciously through countless posts which will have me cringing weeks later and attempt to sift through all the silt of suck for a few nuggets of something worth reading.

Sometimes I'll quibble, sometimes I'll ponder, sometimes I'll tell you about the incredible place where I live. I'll probably post a short story or two, and maybe an article here and there. Mostly I'll just marvel to myself at how fast I can type and see what happens. I wish us all good luck.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to supply the G&T and the proverbial fire!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I hereby submit myself to the voyeuristic, relentless masses of those who are much more talented than me, and the throngs of those who think they are more talented than me. Follow along as I ramble self-consciously through countless posts which will have me cringing weeks later and attempt to sift through all the silt of suck for a few nuggets of something worth reading."

    Jess, I have been spending a bit of time this month reading blogs for the first time. As Martin Amis would have said, most of the bloggers can't write a sentence for toffee! So, it was a real pleasure to read your three posts here. I adore your prose style. That bit I just quoted above is just brilliant! It displays all the good books you have read in your life. And I haven't yet spotted a sentence that is a "silt of suck." I look forward to many nuggets to cherish as you complete your undergraduate studies.

    ReplyDelete